A skilled commercial real estate broker who thinks three steps ahead, Doug Launius skates to where the puck is going. Currently, it’s headed to Southeast Austin, Texas.
Doug Launius began his real estate career in Houston in 1981. He has brokered hundreds of millions of dollars in deals, raised significant amounts of equity from both private and institutional investors, personally invested in real estate, oil and gas ventures as well as start-up and publicly traded companies.
His most notable deal was the roll up and ultimate sale to Goldman Sachs of 25 apartment properties, comprising approximately 5,500 units and owned by 22 separate owners in Houston, Texas. He envisioned and created the opportunity, structured and packaged it, and held it together until it closed. It was the largest deal of its kind ever completed in the U.S. and won numerous awards including Deal of the Year in Houston.
Doug has been a long-time, avid proponent for growth and development in Austin’s untapped southeast submarket. He and his business partner, Karl Koebel, are known as the “go-to guys” of Southeast Austin.
Doug’s most recent venture and passion project is Velocity Crossing, a ±390 acre mixed-use development project at the corner of SH-130 and Highway 71 in Southeast Austin. The property is zoned LI-PDA and located a Triple Freeport Zone which allows businesses to avoid taxes on inventory that leaves the state within 175 days. The project hopes to be the catalyst for much-needed services to the Southeast Austin and Del Valle communities.
While Doug enjoys the real estate business, he has learned to truly appreciate and value faith, family, close friends, trustworthy partners and honest business associates. Doug married his wife and best friend in 1985 and they are blessed with three amazing daughters.
- Velocity Crossing – 390 acre, mixed-use development in Southeast Austin
- EastRidge – ±129 acre, mixed-use development across from Circuit of the Americas
- Del Valle ISD acquisitions broker
- Southeast Austin – Listing or own and marketing for sale and development ±1,200 acres in SE Austin
- Goldman Sachs Multifamily Portfolio – Houston, TX Sale of 25 apartment properties to Goldman Sachs comprised of approximately 5,500 units; nationally recognized and Deal of the Year in Houston.
- Kitty Hill Airport Development – Conversion into 550+ single family residential lots
- LAI – Lambda Alpha International Land Economics Society
- Austin-Bergstrom International Airport 2040 Master Plan Advisory Committee
- University of Texas at Austin
- St. John’s School, Houston